Wednesday, January 25, 2012

You Be The Leader!

(1)Explain one leadership role you have maintained that leads others to technology success.

(2)Identify one leadership role you would like to implement into your drive to enhance technology implementation into your building.

Click on the "Comment" link below to leave a reply.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dave Ulbricht said...

1. The role I have maintained that leads to technology success is as an instructional leader by example. I try to model the tools and techniques that I ask them to use when doing staff presentations. Even better, I love it when something unexpected happens and I am asked to step into the classroom to cover for a teacher.

2. I'm not exactly sure how to express this as a "role", but my "wish list" for enhancing my tech implementation revolves around staying current on the newest and most promising tools and practices. This is a pretty tall order considering the rapidly evolving nature of this topic.

United Local High School said...

1. The role I have worked hard to maintain is that of modeling the use of technology in staff meetings, presentations, etc. I have used Google (sites, docs, forms/spreadsheets, presentations) powerpoint, responders, Blogger, twitter, etc. By learning these tools, I am also a support to teachers who have questions as they look try them out.

2. What I wish to be doing over the coming months is facilitating a successful study of 1:1 in preparation for initiating a program next school year. We have had our first committee meeting - which was devoted to brainstorming as many questions as could be thought of. I then put these questions into a shared visual document for committee members to access. In addition, I have made a shared spreadsheet style blog for committee members to enter comments from findings relative to our questions. These two shared documents can be see at the links below:

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1zGaZCPSKjYm2n_gob5AmlTB7Tdv8LxT7l-7DbUuXijQ/edit?hl=en_US

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuCUygNrZ6YrdGRLQm5mb3BnUVB1OGhkVXNOeThzZ3c&hl=en_US#gid=0


I need to become much more knowledgeable about 1:1 approaches, pitfalls, best practices, etc. as I guilde our committee through this process.

Meghan said...

1) I lead the tech committee at my building to identify and create a plan to fulfill our tech needs. I also integrate tech into staff meetings and PD sessions that I lead.

2) By participating in this group I hope to extend my knowledge to focus on what else we can do to use tech as part of our instructional practice. I also am hoping to work with teachers on grant writing to help in our identified areas.

Dray said...

1.)I am the Title I director in our district, which gives me a lot of control when it comes to purchasing new technology. I work with our tech coordinator in an effort to bring technology to our students and staff. I have been able to provide my elementary staff with a lot of professional development along the way, which enables us to utilize what we have rather than allowing it to sit and collect dust. I guess I would say I do a lot of facilitating when it comes to tech in our school and the district as a whole.

2.) I am hoping my membership in this group will help me to gain a better undestanding of how to implement more technology in my building and the school district. I feel like we have only scratched the surface in our district.

Helen Otto said...

I like to take on a leadership role of leading by example. I enjoy using technology to make my job easier. I use the ipad for observations and my iphone for walkthroughs. I am support of using technology in the classroom to enhance student learning. I try to find the means to fill the request of teachers when they want to enhance the educational learning envirnoment through technology.

2. I recently applied for a grant in order to gain interactive response learning stystems for the classroom. Also, I am encouraging teachers to use technology to bring learning resources to a comfort level in order to help parents help their child with homework.

Helen Otto

comets08 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
comets08 said...

1. As an educator and in life, I do the best I can to lead by example. Therefore, I try to show teachers, staff and students various forms of technology available to them and that I'd like to see them using in my everyday routines and communications with them. This could be through e-mail, blogs, technology devices that I carry with me or other means. It is important for them to see these things in use and know that they are accessible.
2. One role that I would like to fill in the hope to enhance technology in our drive is to be able to provide more to our school. This could just be through me finding more time to take an active role in grant writing or other meand to obtain the necessary funding to put things in the hands of our students and staff. We have a technology "cabinet" in our building and I trust thier input and hope to brainstorm methods that we can implement to stay as current as possible with our technology.

BKujala said...

1. We were able to add a second computer lab to the building this year. I also hope to have on going PD for our staff who added Smart boards to grades 2, 3, and 4 prior to this school year. I must confess to having ideas but as I am in my first year... I am trying to make through each week.

2. I was intrigued with the idea of forming a cadre of teachers who would pilot some iniatives. I look forward to exploring this idea and look forward to learning from those in this class.

Anonymous said...

1. As principal, it is my job to support district initiatives. At present, we are slated to have wirelss service installes in all of out buildings throughout the district. I have supported this initiative by informing our staff of the benefits of having wirless technology throughout our building. I have also had discussions with our leadership team (department Chairs) about how we will expect students to respect the system. More technical issues to come, but everyon in on board to have it in place and utilize the technology as soon as it is up and running.

Anonymous said...

#2 I would like to lead our staff into implementing wirelss technology seamlessly into their lessons. This would mean allowing students to experince computer and hand-held wireless devices during class.

Ali Nannicola said...

One leadership role I have maintained that leads my staff to technology success is by promoting something new by example and showing vulnerability. I may try something that I recently learned and use it to collaborate with the staff, ie: VoiceThread. If it does not seem to be working as I'd hoped, we use our Tech Tuesdays to reinforce the concept.

One leadership role I just tried today actually (after returning from ETech) is Google Groups. I am trying it out with our Building Technology Team, since they should not be rattled by it! :)

Nick S said...

1. Maintaining an edge with current technology takes time and plenty of experimentation. Using the technology and showcasing what I am currently using or what I have witnessed another staff member using helps create an interest. The staff continues to experiment and share leading to some small successes.

2. My drive is for teachers to use our 1:1 computing initiative as a tool to help our students be more creative and innovative. This is being accomplished by incorporating technology into the design of our lessons through our district's Working on the Work framework.

Paul McIntyre said...

1. One of my roles as associate principal is to lead technology in the building. This year, we focused on expanding the use of student's personal computing devices at school (often referred to as BYOD or BYOT). This program is intended to suppliment classroom instruction as we move to the new core standards and online assessments.

2. As Hoover continues with BYOD, my role as instructional leader will expand. Providing staff with appropriate professional development opportunities is the priority to make our BYOD plan successful.

David Malone said...

As the building principal I am involved in just about all aspects of technology. One of the more important is deciding what to purchase and how train the staff to use it once it is purchased. This year we have been focusing on using iPads in the classroom.